OceanView Community Association 
Serving the community with a wide range of activites and services.

Current Board Meeting Minutes
(past minutes can be found below)

Our OVCA Board of Directors

BOD MEETING – November 15, 2017
 
CALL TO ORDER: 12:10 PM
 
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Dave Anderson, Barbara Lewis, Paulette Frerichs and Ron Gall
 
GUESTS PRESENT: Boys & Girls Club representatives present: Malia Farias and Jasmine Branco, Eleanor Shannon
           

OCTOBER MINUTES: Correction to Old Business #3 – Should be Paulette instead of Paula
     Correction to New Business #8 – Motion passed to charge $15/Hr for Computer Lab
     Approved with corrections:  Yes  

 
TREASURER'S REPORT:    October Expenses:  $1024.03   Income:  $2,363.65   Profit:  $1,339.62
           
OLD BUSINESS:
 
1.   Draft letter to send to potential advertisers: 
            Action: Paulette & Ron will review business list to make mailing list.

 
2.  Credit Card payment option on the website: 
            Action: We are now enrolled with Leader Merchant Services.  However, Ron and/or Dayle Rhodes need to figure

                out how to set up the “Shopping Cart” function on our website. We anticipate that it will all be ready to go
                by December 1st.
 
3.  VA Telehealth Station: Update from Joan and/or Cori.
            Action: Kona VA Medical Team will be making appointments for the first and third Thursdays of each month

                beginning November 2, 2017.

4.  Ocean View “Deep Clean” Project: Huge success with about 30 volunteers. Two 40 foot Matson containers were filled with furniture and
  unloaded at the Hilo Landfill. We provided lunch and bottled water to volunteers but did not pay for gas. After grant funds are received from Matson, Ron will submit the final budget to the board for approval.
            - Ron has submitted two requests to the county to place three dumpsters on the OVCA lot where
              appliances and scrap metal were staged. The first request to Solid Waste Management was rejected    
              citing the lack of resources. The second request was submitted to Mayor Kim and Solid Waste
              Management on November 6th but no response has been received to date.
            - We have not gotten funding for tire disposal fees. After some negotiations, the General Manager at
               Costco declined to help. Royal Hawaiian Movers may still provide some help. Ron to explore other options. 
           Action: Ron to submit final project budget when we receive grant monies from Matson to present at December BOD

               meeting.
5.  Keiki Jiggle Bums (New keiki program - no one showed on Nov 1st a few came today!):
           Action: Paulette made motion to waive rental fees for this program through December; Dave seconded;motion passed

               unanimously.

NEW BUSINESS:

1.  Boys & Girls Club Discussion:
            - Tentative start date at OVCC on January 8, 2018; Monday through Friday 3-5 PM in Main Hall
               without kitchen; B & G will change to another room/area as needed when OVCC has confirmed
               reservations.
            -  Adult to child ratio is 1 adult to 30 children; anticipating 40+ children ages 6-17 years old.
            -  Naalehu Elementary school buses have agreed to stop at OVCC for children attending B & G.
            -  B & G has 8 desktop computers and a portable basketball hoop & balls to donate to OVCA.
            -  B & G will provide snacks to children.
            -  B & G themes will be Fitness, Academic Support; and Mentoring/Leadership.

 
2.  Thanksgiving Dinner:  What preparations do we need to do and When? We have napkins and tablecloths
            Action: All items needed by 11/22/2017. Dave and Paulette have lists of items needed and what we already have o
n
                hand.

3.  EFSP Grant:  We now have the first half ($2,500) of the new EFSP grant. We can request the second half of the funds anytime and we
          do not need to spend the first half before requesting second half. However, we MUST spend the full amount ($5,000) by
          January 31, 2018. The board needs to:
             - Evaluate the OVCA budget to determine what amounts we can budget for the free dinners and food baskets.
             - Decide when to resume and how often we serve the free dinners.
             - Decide how often to provide the food baskets and what should be in them.
            Action: Staff will decide what the food baskets should contain. Board needs to budget for baskets. The board

                    decided to resume weekly free dinners on Wednesday, January 10th (Paulette).
 

4.  Ballots for election of the 2018 Board of Directors:  Mail to all currently paid members?
     Now on ballot:  Barbara Lewis, Dave Anderson, Michele Wyres, Rachell Barker, Ron Gall & Paulette Frerichs
            Action: Paulette will mail out ballots November 17-20.


5.  Smoke detectors for OVCC: 
            Action: Glenda confirmed that smoke detectors are not required in our facility (per county).

 
6.  Burglar alarm system for OVCC: Our insurance may require so we need to review insurance policy.
            Action: Ron will review insurance policy and confirm with our insurance agent.
           

7.  2017 GE & IRS Tax Returns:   
            Action: Dave, Paulette and Ron will prepare the returns.

 
8.  OVCC Member / Non-Member Fees:
            Action: WIFI Free / Free; Printing $0.10 per pg / $0.25 per pg; Scanning $0.15 per pg / $0.25 per pg;
                Faxes $0.50 per pg / $1.00 per pg (Long distance not available); Computers Free / $2 per hour.

 
9.  MAHALO to Eleanor for the new laptop. What does staff want on the laptop for use?
            Action: Ron to share Microsoft subscription when renewed in January and load what staff need.
 
10.  We need to contact Richard Ebert about donating printers/scanners. 
            Action: Ron to contact Richard.



Meeting Adjourned:   2:10 PM
Submitted by:
 
 
____________________________
Ronald M Gall - President

Past Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – October 18, 2017
 
CALL TO ORDER:             12:11 PM
 
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:     Dave Anderson, Paulette Frerich, Ron Gall, Barbara Lewis
 
GUESTS PRESENT: Eleanor Shannon, Mars Cavers, Glenda S, Rachell Barker
           
SEPTEMBER MINUTES      APPROVED
 
TREASURER'S REPORT:    Loss of $18.55 due to Pancake Breakfast expenses (see attached)
           
OLD BUSINESS:
 
1.   Draft letter to send to potential advertisers:  Paulette drafted letter for Board to review.
            Action: Send out last week of October

 
2.  EFSP Grant – Ron and Paulette interviewed in Hilo on September 21st for the next EFSP grant.        
            Action: Waiting for grant approval

 
3.  Credit Card payment option on the website:  Ron has contacted three credit card services to consider (see summary attached).
            Action: Paula moved, Barbara seconded that OVCA use Leader Merchant Services.  Ron to set up.

 
4.  VA Telehealth Station: GlobalMed Telemedicine provided training for five volunteers the week of September 17-23. The Kona VA Clinic expects to use the kiosk once or twice a month beginning November 2nd.  This is the first rural community in the United States to have this system.
 
5.  Ocean View “Deep Clean” Project:  This project will occur on Saturday October 21st with volunteers meeting 8 AM at the Ocean View Community Center. All costs funded by Matson Hilo.
            - Two Matson containers will be located on Aloha below HOVE Road Maintenance Office
            - Volunteers will pick up large items along roadways in Ocean View and place in the containers
            - Volunteers will also pick up metal and appliances and deliver to the Waiohinu Transfer Station
            - We have not gotten funding for tire disposal fees. Therefore, volunteers will NOT pick up tires along
               roadways during this project. Ron is still working with Costco and Royal Hawaiian Movers to waive
               or pay tire disposal fees. 
            - OVCA will provide bottled water (Paulette) and lunch (pizza) for volunteers.  Drivers will be given a
               nominal fee as reimbursement for fuel.
            Action: Ron will email OVCA Members & Past Members to have them attend an organizing meeting at OVCC on Thursday, October 19th to sign up as volunteers for this project.


NEW BUSINESS:

1.  Thanksgiving Dinner:  What preparations do we need to do and When? We have napkins and tablecloths
           
            Action: All items needed by 11/19/2017. Dave and Paulette have lists of items needed and what we already have on hand.

 
2.  Free Thursday Dinner & Food Basket Programs:  Event has been temporarily cancelled to give our volunteers a break. Preparing and serving the dinners is a lot of work for volunteers, and we really need more volunteers to ease the burden on the few we have.

            Action:  The OVCA budget needs to be evaluated regarding the dinner costs for the next year. While we anticipate a new EFSP Grant, we have not received notice of an award yet.
                       
3.  Nominations for 2018 Board of Directors: 
     Up to eleven (11) Directors can be elected; then the Directors elect the four (4) Officers. We have solicited nominations by email to current and past members. No nominations have been received to date. Now what?
            Action: Rachell Barker and Eleanor Shannon may apply.


4.  Smoke detectors for OVCC:  We need to check/replace/buy smoke detectors where needed. 
            Action: We need to have the fire extinguishers checked.

 
5.  Burglar alarm system for OVCC:  Our insurance may require so we need to review insurance policy.
            Action: We need to review insurance policy; we may need to install an alarm system.
           

6.  Ballots & Membership mailings:  Membership as of October 16th is 155 by email + 57 USPS
            Action: Ron will draft ballots and membership renewal notice.

 
7.  2017 Tax Returns:   We have volunteer preparer.
 
8.  OVCC Fees:  WIFI free, Computers/Printers/Scanners? Computer Lab/Conference Room: $15 per hour was moved and passed
            Action: Richard Ebert has printers/scanners to donate. Eleanor will donate new computer. It was      suggested that we may need a buzzer for the back door.

 
9.  Keiki Jiggle Bums (New keiki program):  Should OVCA offer reduced rent to get the program
     started?

            Action: November 15 upstairs. Rachell has large mirrors.

10.  Coffee to be kept at front desk; all accessories in Green Room.

Meeting Adjourned:   2:10 PM
 
Submitted by Barbara Lewis – Secretary
 
____________________________
Ronald M Gall - President
Ronald M Gall - President
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES – September 20, 2017

CALL TO ORDER:             12:10 PM

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:     Barbara Lewis, Paulette Frerichs and Ron Gall

GUESTS PRESENT: Karen Pucci and Anna Towner
           
AUGUST MINUTES APPROVED              Yes                 

TREASURER'S REPORT:    August Income:      $1,016.00
               Expenses (w/o Insurance):  $  989.61
                       Insurance          $4,894.97
               Net Loss for August      -$4,868.58
           
OLD BUSINESS:

1.   Draft letter to send to potential advertisers:        
            Action:  Paulette submitted draft letter to send to businesses in October or November.


2.  EFSP Grant – Ron submitted the grant application on September 6th. 
            Action:  Ron and Paulette interviewed at United Way in Hilo on September 21st.  We hope to receive

                 approval or denial in October.

3.  Credit Card payment option on the website:  Ron has not received details yet. 
            Action:  The board unanimously agreed to add options use of credit/debit cards and PayPal on the

                 OVCA website.

4.  VA Telehealth Station:  GlobalMed Telemedicine donated the equipment to the OVCA for real time doctor visits with veterans at the Community Center. It was installed and tested on September 18th.  Training for four volunteers is being provided by GlobalMed on September 19, 20 & 21. The Kona VA Clinic expects to use the kiosk once or twice a month. 

5.  Boys & Girls Club:  No response from anyone at Boys & Girls Club.  They may have discontinued their program at Kahuku Park.  Until OVCA gets a response from someone at the Boys & Girls Club, there seems to be nothing else we can do to partner with them.

NEW BUSINESS:
Ocean View “Deep Clean” Project:  Tentative date OCTOBER 21st. Two options were available and the BOD approved the option for Matson to deliver a container to Ocean View and we can use it for up to three days. Only large items such as furniture, appliances, etc. will be loaded in the container.
  a.  Prior to cleanup day, we need to provide Matson with a Certificate of Liability Insurance naming Matson Hilo as the certificate holder. 

  b.  After cleanup day, we need to send Matson a few documents before the grant monies will be released.  Ron will get those documents before a date is set for the event.
  c.  Container needs to be delivered to smooth level surface area. Ron will provide Matson with photos of the two lots below OVCC to be approved as the container drop-off.  An alternative may be at HOVE Road Maintenance property.
  d.Volunteers with pickups are needed to gather items roadside and transport to the container. Drivers’ fuel costs will be reimbursed from the grant.
  e.Volunteers will also be needed to follow container to Hilo Landfill for off-loading and cleanup of container. Rubber gloves will be provided to volunteers but it is suggested that volunteers bring leather gloves to use.

f.Bright colored vests as well as lunch (from Paulette) and water will be provided for volunteers.
  g. We’re exploring if we can buy T-shirts or hats for volunteers after project completion.
  h. OVCA expenses will be reimbursed by Matson grant monies after project completion.


2.  OVCA Yard Sale: No volunteers have come forward to help clean, organize and price items.  No word on whether high school students are available to help.
            Action:  The board agreed to postpone the Yard Sale until after the end of this year.

3. We have rented the Main Hall and Kitchen to a church on October 14th.  While we want to keep the Pancake Breakfast days consistent, we will generate additional income by moving Pancake Breakfast in October to October 7th. 
            Action:  The board agreed to move Pancake Breakfast for October only.


4.  Thanksgiving Dinner Prep:  Ron sent out 28 letters requesting donations for this year’s dinner. Are there other preparations we should be doing? (ie. Buy napkins on sale, table cloths, etc)
            Action:  Thanksgiving Dinner will be served 1-4 PM on Thursday November 23rd. We need to make a list of the supplies we have and those we need. Ron to have the event advertised in the Ka’u Calendar.

5.  OVCA Membership Benefits:  What new benefits can we offer our members?
            Action:  Ron made motion, seconded by Paulette, to offer OVCA Members a 15% discount on rental charges for their use of Community Center facilities.  Motion was unanimously approved.


6.  Christmas Event at the Ocean View Community Center: The Lamb of God Baptist Church, Na’alehu Amazing Grace Baptist Church and the Kona Hispanic Seventh Day Adventist Church will perform a Christmas Concert from 6 pm-9:30 pm on December 22nd.
            Action:  The board unanimously agreed to waive the building use fees for this event.

7.  Facility Improvements were discussed.  It was agreed that we need a comprehensive long-term plan
    for the downstairs spaces.


8.  Board Nominations for 2018:  None submitted to date.


Meeting Adjourned:   1:20 PM

Submitted by Ron Gall for Barbara Lewis


______________________________________        Date ____________________
Ronald M Gall - President

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES – August 16, 2017

CALL TO ORDER:             12:07 PM
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:     Paulette Frerichs, Ron Gall, Barbara Lewis
GUESTS PRESENT: Anna Towner and Karen Pucci.  Richard Ebert of Neighborhood Watch came to confirm that OVCA has no interest in funds that were left in former Neighborhood Watch account.
           
JULY MINUTES APPROVED  Yes                 

TREASURER'S REPORT:    July Income:    $674.50
               Expenses:      $334.62
               Profit        $339.88
           
OLD BUSINESS:
1.   Draft letter to send to potential advertisers:  Status from Barbara
        Action: Paulette will prepare letter to potential advertisers.

2.  EFSP Grant – Final reports were submitted today to United Way.  Over three thousand meals were prepared and served since October of 2016. 
        Action: Ron to find out when we apply for 2018 grant.
                 Ron will find out how many food boxes have been prepared and delivered.

3.  Coffee Social & Coffee with a Cop: 
        Action: Will continue quarterly per Officer Tayamen

4.  Long distance and voicemail:  About 15 long distance calls made from staff cell phones since 6-19-2017.  Voicemail is now active and remote access is available. Callers will not get a busy signal if staff is helping someone on the phone. Paulette offered use of Oven Treats fax machine for long distance faxing.

5.  Friends of the Children’s Justice Center “Care Closet”:  No further contact from them to date.
        Action:  Tabled until next meeting or until we hear from them.

6.  Credit Card payment option on the website:  Ron has not gotten details yet.  Ron should have enough information to choose company at September board meeting.

7.  VA Telehealth Station:  Kiosk is expected to be donated to OVCA in September and training last two weeks of September. We need some volunteers to be trained. VA expects to use the kiosk once or twice a month. Ron tested the station and reported it works well.  Can check various vital signs, vision, hearing, etc.

       Action:  Trainer to be here week of September 18. OVCA has 4-5 volunteers so far. Volunteers will be required to undergo background checks.

8.  Insurance:   We changed from Servco to Insurance Factors and saved over $3,800 including property theft coverage which we did not have with Servco.


NEW BUSINESS:

1.  Ocean View Deep Clean Project:  The Matson Foundation approved the OVCA grant application for $1,000 on July 24, 2017.    

Two options were available:
    Option #1 approved by BOD:  Matson will deliver a container to Ocean View and we can use it for up to three days.  Only large items such as furniture, appliances, etc. will be accepted – no household garbage bags.        
    Option #2, which BOD rejected, was to do a big cleanup without a container.

         Action: 
           1.  Prior to cleanup day, we need to provide Matson with a Certificate of Liability Insurance naming Matson Hilo as
             the certificate holder. Ron will check with our agent to find out if there is a cost to OVCA.
           2.  After cleanup day, we need to send Matson a few documents before the grant monies will be released.  Ron will
             get those documents before a date is set for the event.
           3.  Container needs to be delivered to smooth level surface area. Ron will provide Matson with photos of the two
             lots below OVCC.
           4.  Volunteers with pickups are needed to gather items roadside and transport to container.
           5.  Volunteers will be needed to follow container to Hilo Landfill for off loading and clean up of container.Lunch
             and water will be provided.
           6.  Bright colored vests to be provided for volunteers.

     Decisions yet to be made by OVCA Board:
        Project tentatively approved. Expenses to be reimbursed by Matson after project completion. Thank you T-shirts for
        volunteers and gas reimbursements for drivers.

2.  Boys & Girls Club:  Last info is that they expect to start about August 21st. 
     We need more information:
        Agreement letter between OVCA and B&G
        Volunteer to child ratio?
        Meals or Snacks?  Paulette to provide first month
        Computer access?
        No showers
        Transportation?
        Background checks?
        Is B & G paying for building use?  (Amount per month may need negotiating. Full monthly rent: 
          $10/Hr X 2.5 Hrs/Day X 5 Days/Wk = $500/Mo).

       Action: Paulette to check with Teresa at Kahuku Park re amount B & G Club pays there.

3.  OVCA Yard Sale: BOD approved October 7, 2017 - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
       Action:  Stage will be used for prepping sale items. Volunteers and donations needed. Ron will include info in Sept/Oct
            Newsletter.
            Paulette to contact high school for student volunteer help to prep items for yard sale.

4.  Pancake Breakfast:  Will continue on 2nd Saturday of each month, including November and December.

5.  Computer Lab:  Now that we’re down to just two computers, we have posted that users must let others use after 1 hour when others
           are waiting.

6.  Time limit for building use renters:  10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays, out by 10:15 (following clean-up).

Meeting Adjourned:   1:37 p.m.

Submitted by Barbara Lewis – Secretary


______________________________________        Date ____________________

Ronald M Gall - President



BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING– May 18, 2017
 
CALL TO ORDER:          12:00 noon
               
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:     Paulette Frerichs, Ron Gall, Barbara Lewis
 
GUESTS PRESENT:   Rachel Barker, Eric Griffith, Stacy Richards (HOVE Grown)
           
APRIL MINUTES APPROVED                  Yes                 
 
TREASURER'S REPORT:    Income:  $771.00        Expenses:  $529.25     Roof Funds: $5,000
Insurance payment is due July.  Paulette moved and Ron seconded that building coverage be canceled; motion passed unanimously. OVCA will carry General Liability insurance only.
 
OLD BUSINESS:
 
1.   Draft letter to send to potential newsletter advertisers
       Action: Barbara will recreate letter

 
2.   Inventory in the supply area behind offices.
       Action: Amy has started on the inventory.

 
3.  Status of grant applications:  To our knowledge, Grants-in-Aid not awarded yet. 


NEW BUSINESS:

1.   “Aloha Food Delivery” program:  We need qualifying guidelines and pick up/delivery schedule.   
       Action: Focus will be on homebound and disabled persons. 

          Ron will contact care givers and their agencies so they can inform their clients of the Aloha Food Delivery Program.
             Volunteers may be available to take those without caregivers for shopping at local OV markets.
          Ron will develop guidelines and pickup/delivery schedule by next meeting and will share with BOD and HOVE Grown.
         Next EFSP Program grant money expected in one to two weeks.
         HOVE Grown will participate with surplus produce from their farm suppliers.
         Need to purchase can openers to provide to those who need.

 
2.  Membership:  May-June Newsletter was sent to past members, and several have renewed.
       Action: 
         a. Banner needs to be bought for display at Swap Meet and one also placed at south end of OVCC building.
         b. Eric Griffith volunteered to man booth at 1st Swap Meet of month.
         c. Green Market – dovetail with HOVE Grown on a different day than Swap Meet. It was not successful long term when it was held on Friday afternoon.

         d. Thursday dinners – HOVE Grown will provide surplus fresh produce from farmer providers as available.
         e. OVCA Facebook page – Eric Griffith will renew and maintain.
         f. Kahuku Park – It is no longer safe for children: drug and alcohol garbage and use there.
 
3.  “Social Hour” in the Green Room on Tuesdays:
       Action:  “Adopt-A-Block roadside cleanup has about 25 people signed up to start on June 2nd.
         Ron ordered the first 100 bags today and Jim O’Hara is funding the cost of the first bag order.

 
4.  Boys & Girls Club request for donation for statewide golf tournament:
        Action:  Tabled to next BOD meeting.

 
5.  Office of Elections request for OVCC as polling place. Anyone want to serve as “Facility Official” (pay by county of $60-$140)? 
            Action: HOVE Grown will serve as “Facility Officer.”

 
 
Meeting Adjourned:   1:00 P.M.
 
Submitted by Barbara Lewis – Secretary
 
 
______________________________________        Date ____________________
Ronald M Gall - President


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING– April 19, 2017

CALL TO ORDER:    12:10 PM
                      
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:       Dave Anderson, Paulette Frerichs, Ron Gall, Barbara Lewis

GUESTS PRESENT:    Bill & Lisa Shock, Karen Pucci and Anna Towner
           

FEBRUARY MINUTES APPROVED           Yes                  Corrections:      None

TREASURER'S REPORT:     Attached
           
OLD BUSINESS:
1.   Barbara - Draft letter to send to potential advertisers
            Action:  Barbara is working on it.

2.   Need to inventory what is in the supply area behind offices.
            Action:  Ron will get someone to do it.


3.  OVCA Costco Membership for Karen Powell still needed?  (Motion passed in March)
            Action:  Not needed.  We also need to stop by the Costco office to apply for the $25 monthly
                          donation that Costco gives to nonprofits.


4.  Status of grant applications:  Lowe’s & Home Depot both declined.  Grants-in-Aid not awarded yet. 
            We assume awards will be made before the end of legislative session.  Should we find grant
            writers to help with seeking more grants?
            Action:  Ron to ask for volunteers with grant writing experience.

5.  Cinco de Mayo ad for St Jude’s:  Ron would like to trade for chairs at St Jude’s that are not used.
            Action:  St Jude’s will pay $10 for the ad in the OVCA May-June Newsletter and donate chairs not in use at St Jude’s.


NEW BUSINESS:
1.   “Aloha Food Delivery” program:  We now have 19 households signed up.  Do we need qualifying
            information?  How often for delivery or pick up?

            Action:  Ron will get qualification form from Ronette at the Food Basket on Tuesday,
                          April 25th and ask local care givers if they have homebound clients with a need.


2.  Website created by Member Dayle Rhodes is in process of being migrated to the new format.  We needed to change domain ownership
            and transfer to new system. 
            Action:  The new website is now up and running at ovcahi.org.

3.  New rental rates for Kitchen
            Action:  Amy revised the Building Use Application and it is in the front office folder.


4.  Membership:  How can we solicit/enroll new members?
            Action:  We will ask realtors to show the Community Center to new Ocean View owners.  Ron to check on cost of an OVCA banner

                           for use at the Swap Meet and OVCC building.

5.  Cleaning checklist:  Do we need to change?
            Action:  Thom Stapleton is now cleaning on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.


6.  Other:  Bill & Lisa Shock will start running a “social hour” in the Green Room on Tuesdays beginning May 2nd.


Meeting Adjourned:   1:20 PM
Submitted by Barbara Lewis – Secretary

______________________________________        Date ____________________
Ronald M Gall - President

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES - February 16, 2017
 
CALL TO ORDER:    6:04 pm
                      
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:     Dave Anderson, Paulette Frierichs, Ron Gall, Barbara Lewis
 
GUESTS PRESENT:             Joan and Greg Guithues
 
JANUARY MINUTES APPROVED           Yes       
 
TREASURER'S REPORT:    Attached
           
OLD BUSINESS:

1.   Direct Mailing to businesses Discussion – We now have a list of businesses (121) from The 
            Directory thanks to Joan, Amy and Glenda! We need to narrow down the list to a
            manageable number for mailing advertising information to businesses.
            Action:  Barbara and Joan will divide list in half and get mailing addresses


2.   Upper parking lot motion sensor solar light
            Action: Dave will verify days and times on the timers

 
3.   Supply ordering and list to post in kitchen and office:  Still need round paper rolls for 
            upstairs bathrooms. Still need to inventory everything.
            Action: Joan will inventory everything; Dave and Ron will show her where everything is. 

4.   Adopt-A-Block: 
            Action:  Ron will get bags from HOVE Road Maintenance

                       
5.  OVCA Costco Membership: 
            Action:  Ron got membership card on 2/14/15.  Paulette needs to get separate card with
            her picture.  Then Ron & Paulette will be able to use the card to make purchases with
            OVCA checks (for EFSP grant and/or other needs).
 
6.  Front Office door replacement:  Done.  Thank you, Dave!
           
7.  Voice mail update
            Action:  Paulette will send letter to Hawaiian TelCom to add VM and Caller ID to phone
            service.  When phone is in use, call will go to VM instead of ringing busy.
 
NEW BUSINESS:
1.   OVCA monthly accounting and tax filing:
            Action:  Ron will retrieve records that had been taken to Ka’u Business Services. OVCA
            will conduct monthly accounting and periodic tax filings in house.

 
2.   Policy is needed as a guideline for reimbursements for OVCA expenses:
            Action:  Upon motion made, seconded and passed unanimously, receipts for
            reimbursements will be presented to President for approval at monthly board meetings.   

            This procedure will be added to OVCA Bylaws when amendment can be made through  
            State of Hawaii.

3.  Front Office coverage change for Monday through Friday:
            Monday: Cori       Tuesday: Joan        Wednesday: Barbara
            Thursday: Amy       Friday: Glenda
            Action:  WHAT A FANTASTIC CREW!!!

 
4.  “Aloha Food Delivery” program:  Only two persons on list so far. There are also veterans in  
      need of this program.  Ron will revise the flyer to, hopefully, get a better response.
 
5.  Lower driveway needs repairs:  
            Action:  Paulette will contact Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos for assistance/

 
6.  Bylaws distribution to Board Members:  Questions?
            Action:  Board members acknowledged they have read and understand. Ron will prepare a form for all to sign.


7.   Dave's new project: Update regarding upstairs flooring
        Action: Dave will apply for grants from Walmart, Home Depot and Loewes for flooring material.

            Drawers for chairs will be redone
 
8.   New blinds closed or partially open when office is closed?
            Action: Blinds will be open during business hours and closed at the end of each shift.

9.   WIFI locks:  Reconsider? (Paulette)
            Action: Tabled until next meeting

10.   Other:  Tee shirts, license plate frames, bumper stickers worth the investment? There are no  
        more license plate frames.  Paulette suggested baseball caps.  Item tabled for next meeting.

11. Group photo of Board was taken for the website after the meeting.
 
 
Meeting Adjourned:   7:20 pm           Submitted by Barbara Lewis – Secretary

__________________________________________________
Ronald M Gall - President